Donut Crawl: Best Donuts in Dallas


Christmas time in New York City is a beautiful thing. One of the most entertaining parts of the holiday season is watching relentless beer connoisseurs decked out in their best red velvet polyester for Santacon, stumbling drunkenly from bar to bar. A pub crawl always sounded somewhat enticing but I always knew the idea could be improved upon. When my boyfriend suggested we create our own Donut Crawl for Valentine's Day, I finally knew just the reinvention the pub crawl needed. 
Like, do you even know the name of my blog....?


Combing through Yelp and taking suggestions from anyone who had any to offer, we started combining a list of possible destinations. We then printed out our handy map to determine the plan of attack. Donuts are serious business people.

With a text from my father reminding me to pace myself and one from my mother begging for pictures, we were on our way.

First up: 

9007 Garland Road


If you know anything about donuts and live in Dallas, you've definitely heard of Hypnotic. Known for its insane menu consisting of every donut lover's dreams (Evil Elvis, Espresso Yo Self, Sin-namon, and Mount Saint Hell Yeah to name a few), Hypnotic Donuts is the place that does the crazy but does the crazy right.

I decided to go with the Canadian Healthcare (clearly I'm on a diet): a yeast raised donut with maple icing, a slice of mouth-watering bacon and drizzled in maple syrup. Kinda of like everything you wish breakfast could be but in a donut. Please, someone try to improve upon this, I dare you.

Geoff stuck with a classic: the Homer, a yeast donut with chocolate icing and rainbow sprinkles. By the end of the day, he decided this reigned supreme as the best of the crawl.




Next Up: 

2615 Oak Lawn Ave.


I've been obsessed with donuts like forever. I would constantly tell Geoff about my previous victories as a child out-eating my boy neighbors in donut eating contests every Sunday (pretty sure my record was 13). However, since moving to Dallas, I'd yet to find a classic mom-and-pop shop that sold the cheap and classic donuts I love from back home. This lack of a go-to inspired the donut crawl and Sunrise Donuts certainly came through. 

It's not much- a hole-in-the-wall place you'll blow right past if you're not careful. But the donuts inside were nothing to be missed. It was the fluffy, pull-apart lightness more closely resembling a croissant than a donut that I was looking for and exactly what I found in Sunrise's classic cinnamon sugar twist.



While we attempted to hit up Maple Donuts down on Maple Ave, we realized upon arrival we were a little late to the party. Relieved we didn't have to stomach yet another donut, we headed to our final stop.

4355 Lovers Lane


This place was awesome. With the paper flower chandeliers and mod furniture inside, you knew you were in for a little something different.  As this was the last stop on our crawl, we were left with limited options. The nameplates in the donut case told us a telling story of what had been: countless combinations of dough, icing, fillings and toppings.

 After debating between the Double Chocolate and the Triple Chocolate, Geoff stuck with  the Double while I went with something I'd never seen before: blueberry cake with strawberry icing. Imagine a moist blueberry muffin covered in classic glaze and dipped in strawberry icing and topped with rainbow sprinkles. Heaven.





Comments

Popular Posts