20 Things I Learned While Living in New York City


            It is honestly so strange sitting here writing this. I’m on my couch, now bare of comfy blankets and over-stuffed pillows, looking at an amour with little more than a candle with little less than an hour left to burn. The rest of my apartment is a disheveled sea of boxes with barely anything left on the walls, things like pictures and hand-written notes by friends from nights we don’t remember.
            By tomorrow, my furniture and mattress will be gone and I’ll have no choice but to hunker down at the Mercer Hotel with my mum (I’m not complaining!) for my last night in New York. With so little time left here, I wanted to compile a fun, sometimes sarcastic, but ultimately hopefully a helpful list of what I’ve learned while living in New York City for a whole summer on my own. Take a look and if you live in New York I hope you laugh and nod along in agreement, and if you don’t, I hope I either inspire you to try New York at some point or that you find maybe some of these apply to your own town. Enjoy.


20 Things I Learned While Living in New York City

1. Meet strangers. Everyone you love began as one.

2. Take initiative at work and at home. Have a few minutes? Dedicate them to something you're going to be thankful you did tomorrow.

3. Eat out. Who knows the next time you'll be in this city.

4. Bring your phone charger everywhere. Someone will thank you.

5. Learning your local trains' schedules can be a serious lifesaver when running late.

6. Offer your help. Take others'.

7. Walk around without headphones every now and then. You'd be surprised how much you miss.

8. Wear color. It makes the office a bit more bearable.

9. You're never going to have fun if you're wearing uncomfortable shoes.

10. You have an internship. No one cares.

11. Getting out of Manhattan every now and then can save your life Cape Cod is always a good idea.

12. When you make a mistake, apologize. Now, get over it.

13. Whether you live in New York City or Newcastle, Nebraska, there is always something worth exploring. Go outside.

14. Smile.

15. Call home. You have no idea how much it means to your parents/ grandparents/ siblings and also, you might be surprised how much it can brighten your own day.

16. Times Square is the enemy. Avoid at all costs. Avoid anyone who disagrees: they are either delusional, or worse— a tourist.


17. Always carry a pen. A book as well if you can swing it.

18. Sometimes you think you're going to love something and you end up not. That's okay. It's even good actually— ruling out something is just as important as officially deciding it's for you.


19. Take pictures. The memories might not last forever, but these will.

And last but not least, number 20: never say no to new adventures. When my friend Olivia asked a friend of hers for advice before moving to New York, he told her just this. Never say no.

a view of the Empire State Building taken the day before Independence Day
Martha's Vineyard
the Dior Suite at the Saint Regis Hotel (and my black hair I started the summer with... haha)
sunset from Le Bain at The Standard Hotel in Chelsea
colorful townhouses just a two blocks north of me
the view of the Vineyard from the Clam Shack in Falmouth, MA
the most amazing prosciutto pizza from Oregano in Brooklyn
my take on an Eva Chen insta: Topshop Skirt (similar with print), J. Crew sandals, LV bag
my favorite strawberry cupcake from Little Cupcake Shop and a wedding inspo (maybe a little early?) book at my favorite book shop in SoHo


a painting found on the High Line, New York's best outdoor playground
Central Park Reservoir: where I find my peace of mind

Ancient Egyptian Wing at The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Rooftop of The Metropolitan Museum of Art



the most delicious Blueberry Muffin French Toast at The Pickle Jar in Falmouth, MA
me and Liv doin' what we do best: grammin'
clear skies and blue blue blue water at Martha's Vineyard
Empire State from Calvin Klein's showroom

Freedom Tower
a snap from the quick 40 minute flight home from the Cape
Le Bain
Prince and Broadway: where I got off the subway everyday after work!


Beirgarten at The Standard Hotel
Saks Fifth Avenue

I'm so thankful for all the memories made with both new and old friends this summer. To all of those that were apart of it— thank you so much!


Comments

Popular Posts